Tuesday, March 06, 2007

wonkavision

My Idaho friend (Hi Lily!) visited last weekend and we made the obligatory food rounds. We ate at Salty's on Alki, Blackbird, Claim Jumper, Dahlia Lounge and went on a tour of a chocolate factory. Also, on the way to the chocolate factory we stopped and ate tamales from a stall at the farmer's market, because hey, tamales.

I don't have much else to add except that -- if it is within your means and power -- you should go on a tour of the chocolate factory. It is only $5 and they give you lots of samples, although it is warm inside and may make you sweat. The factory is at Theo Chocolate in Fremont, where they are true and noble chocolate makers, organic and fair trade certified. Also, you must wear a hairnet, but that is okay because you look dead sexy in a hairnet. (Trust me. It's you!) The tour guide walks you through the whole chocolate making process, from the roasting to the packaging, and then gives you chocolate. What more could you want?

I bought several chocolate bars including one with chai spices, one with coconut curry, a bread chocolate (bread with sea salt in the bar), and some dark chocolate bars I can't remember. Also, excellent confections. We sampled a ginger confection which was melty and good. In addition, I bought a bag of sipping chocolate which involves chipotle somehow, but I haven't tried it yet.

Tomorrow I donate blood again. Wish me luck.

No comments: