Thursday, December 06, 2007

Happy day after Repeal Day!

Last night's adventures were initiated by C Ro and inspired by Repeal Day -- the day prohibition was repealed. The evening started at Vessel, where they offered numerous drink specials and offered 33% off discounts for anyone wearing 1933 garb. C Ro looked fabulous in her stole and fancy dress. I rocked the business casual. We were later joined by Beard Boy and her other friends, who all looked fantastic in their 30's-themed outfits as well.

I tried many things. There was Dewar's on the rocks, a Presbyterian (Scotch, ginger beer, ginger ale, Peychaud's bitters), and also absinthe. I asked the waitress if it was real and she assured me it was, but I do not know the brand or any other details. It tasted the way I expected, like black licorice juice. It was served very prettily on a silver tray, and I was able to finally try louching -- adding sugar and water to cloud the spirit. It is not something I would drink on a daily basis, but I enjoyed the experience.

A slightly wobbly walk later, we arrived at The Zig Zag Cafe, which is located just below Pike Place Market. I ordered a beer, but didn't drink it. I felt the evening's activities catch up with me, so I switched to water. There was more talking and nibbling of food and ultimately a cab ride home to my cats.

Not a bad way to celebrate Repeal Day, I'd say.

No comments: