Monday, December 03, 2007

Yogurt is yummy

I finally made yogurt and it's not that hard. It's actually kind of a wobbly.

I purchased a packet of yogurt starter, a yogurt maker, and a thermometer. First you bring 1 liter of milk to its boiling point on the stove, then let it cool to about 44 degrees Celsius. Then you mix the milk with the starter and put it all in the yogurt maker. Plug the yogurt maker in, and let it sit for about 5 1/2 hours -- depending on the starter used. Finally, stick in the fridge for about 8 hours.

The end result was yogurt, which is fantastic for my first batch. It is more tart than I expected, but tasty. Next I will experiment adding additional flavors and/or sugar. I have my eye on a vanilla yogurt recipe for next time.

This is not the only way to make yogurt, but it worked for me. The end.

No comments: