Tuesday, December 04, 2007

A Little Night Music

Last night was fantastic. Jer and I saw Mike Doughty at The Triple Door. If you're not familiar, he was also the lead singer of Soul Coughing.

The Triple Door is an awesome venue. It's a dim, intimate setting with rows of staggered and graded tables, chairs, and booths. A server takes your drink and food order, and places a carafe of water in front of you. I never felt crowded, we had an incredible view, and even though I was in the same row as 15 other patrons or so, our place settings were grouped and angled so it didn't seem like we intruded on other conversations or groups. I just loved it. Also, I continuously marvelled at how the servers managed to stay unobtrusive, even as they cleared plates and refilled drinks.

Meals were on the pricey side since you are a captive audience, but well seasoned and prepared. I actually hesitate to tell you about The Triple Door, because I want to keep it all to myself.

Opening for Mike Doughty was Kris Orlowski, who I enjoyed well enough to purchase his CD. (I rarely do that.) He was very nice and down to earth and signed the insert in my CD. After a brief intermission, Mike Doughty and his cellist/guitarist (Scrap?) took questions/requests from the audience and played for an hour and a half. My only disappointment is he did not play "I Hear the Bells," but he played most of his other songs from "Haughty Melodic," one of my favorite albums ever.

Last year Jer and I drove to Everett to see Mike Doughty open for Barenaked Ladies at the Everett Events Center. It snowed pretty violently and we found ourselves stuck in Everett, checking into a hotel at the last minute. I have to say, not getting trapped in a strange town on a Sunday night would've made this year's show a highlight, but the venue plus the show plus the great service made it an extremely memorable evening.

I highly recommend the artist and the venue by giving them both one billion imaginary stars and a tube of toothpaste. They may divide the spoils however they like.

1 comment:

Casey said...

That's funny, we were at that show as well and the other couple we were with kept yelling "Bells!" and even made a little sign out of paper towels from the bathroom and pen. They were kind of bummed as well.