Monday, November 02, 2009

looking to buy 50 shares of whimsy

"What,” said he, “makes the difference between man and all the rest of the animal creation? Every beast that strays beside me has the same corporal necessities with myself: he is hungry, and crops the grass; he is thirsty, and drinks the stream; his thirst and hunger are appeased; he is satisfied, and sleeps; he rises again, and is hungry; he is again fed, and is at rest. I am hungry and thirsty, like him, but when thirst and hunger cease, I am not at rest. I am, like him, pained with want, but am not, like him, satisfied with fulness. The intermediate hours are tedious and gloomy; I long again to be hungry that I may again quicken the attention. The birds peck the berries or the corn, and fly away to the groves, where they sit in seeming happiness on the branches, and waste their lives in tuning one unvaried series of sounds. I likewise can call the lutist and the singer; but the sounds that pleased me yesterday weary me to-day, and will grow yet more wearisome to-morrow. I can discover in me no power of perception which is not glutted with its proper pleasure, yet I do not feel myself delighted. Man surely has some latent sense for which this place affords no gratification; or he has some desire distinct from sense, which must be satisfied before he can be happy."

Rasselas, Prince of Abyssinia by Samuel Johnson

I'm having a heckuva time finding motivation. (I must have misplaced it.) I hate to admit this, but I'm just too darned comfortable. I spend most of my free time reading and doing the bare minimum to survive. I just finished a biography on Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn and I'm a third of the way through the 900 page Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson. I also find documentaries about physics on the community college channel especially fascinating.

Electromagnetism, for the win.

On a positive reinforcement note today there was progress. I made a vet appointment for both cats to get caught up on their shots and get checked out. I am also looking into a cat boarding place for our next trip south. The online pictures are very nice and it comes highly recommended by our new vet's office and Angie's List.

I also finally ordered a motion sensor light for the front of the house.

Oh hello, raindrops.

I bid on my first corporate bond this week but did not win.

We had about 30 kids trick or treat at the house on Saturday between 6:30pm and 8:15pm. I'm glad some people are still doing that.

The old man went away sufficiently discontented to find that his reasonings had produced the only conclusion which they were intended to prevent. But in the decline of life, shame and grief are of short duration: whether it be that we bear easily what we have borne long; or that, finding ourselves in age less regarded, we less regard others; or that we look with slight regard upon afflictions to which we know that the hand of death is about to put an end.

Rasselas, Prince of Abyssinia by Samuel Johnson

No comments: