Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My secret project -- now with less secret-ness!

I've been coddling it, treating it very gingerly, but I'm ready to share I'm working on a project. Right now it's just for me, but I'm writing something and if it goes well I'll finish it. And that'll be a thing, all right. Finishing something.

Much of the last two weeks has involved 2-4 hours per day, sitting in my home office after a full day of work trying to stay focused. Last night was tough. I finally completed a page after 3 hours, but I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

To be fair, last night I spent more time researching than writing. And in the end the research was a very small part of the output. It came down to a few lines of dialogue.

Pandora is helping me make progress for now. My station is tuned to "Owl City." I've learned I am finicky about my environment, and the thing that helps me concentrate today is full of capriciousness tomorrow. At any moment my station may be tuned to something else entirely, like "Me First & the Gimme Gimmes," or "Flogging Molly" for example. Or maybe it already was. Or maybe I just really like to use double quotes for no reason.

See also: I am a loose cannon. And it's corollary: Don't make me cut a bitch.

I've set a deadline of the end of this month to have the first draft done, and to that end I'm taking a couple days off next week to write and maybe cook a meal for that holiday I've heard so much about.

I should probably come up with a working title for my thing. That would give the thing an air of respectability and permanence. Or maybe I should shut up and go write.

No comments: