Monday, June 12, 2006

I have a fantasy in which I own the printed twenty-volume set of the Oxford English Dictionary, plus the three-volume Additions Series. This desire was triggered after reading Simon Winchester's book, "The Professor and the Madman." Unfortunately, available shelf space is already at a premium, so my dream of owning a twenty-volume dictionary must wait until I have a real office or at least another bookshelf.

And no, the CD won't cut it. It's all or nothing.

When I ask myself, why, why must you own all the words that ever were, it requires serious thought. The main reason I've settled on is that I want to contain and capture every word in the English language because then they will always be at my fingertips ready and waiting. Part of me believes that the simple act of owning these volumes, imparts wisdom and facilitates discipline transference. Because if I have the ability to know everything, I probably already do.

Chew on that.

No comments: