Sunday, June 25, 2006

I shifted strategies by submitting my first pieces of writing for publication. Not contests, but actual publication. As I work my way up to bigger chunks of fiction, I'm giving myself little challenges. This week I practised tightening my sentences by focusing on word selection. (What's the heart of what I want to say, and can I say it more efficiently?) To do that I wrote greeting card sentiments and rhyming poetry for kids.

I was surprised at what came out of me since I never wrote in these forms seriously before. It was exciting how much I liked it.

It's hot and beautiful here but we have our California fans running and there's a nice breeze. I'm on break from the gym and the sloth is slowly creeping out to take over my life again. It hates the heat and wants nothing to do with the outside. Jer said he might go for a walk this afternoon, so maybe he'll help me beat the sloth into submission for an hour or two. And then we can go get ice cream.

No comments: