Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Why music? And why if I have to be addicted, why couldn't the gods have granted me actual musical talent? It's not the best super power to wake every morning with the same riff pounding my dreams into submission, and unable to concentrate without dulling my senses and plugging in. Why. It hurts my moods. And while we're at it. How come I don't dance?

I've got my little bucket of skills and I carry them around and I hold them up to strangers and I say, here, this is what I can do. Do you want any? And they either say yay or nay and then I go my merry way.

You either know which songs will make me crumble or you don't. It shifts. Sometimes it's just a chorus, or three words hidden in the middle. Like the Third Eye Blind song, "and the four right chords can make me cry..." Only no. Not at all. More like, sit dazed and wandering in some nether fog of all the bright and shiny. Waiting for a snippet, waiting for the singer to lift me high then smash me into her rock face, and my pieces tumble end on end below to sand in a virtual explosion. Like that. Rock face. Cliff. Norm!

I walked through that Cheers bar once. It wasn't all that great. But across the street you know, they used to hang people.

No comments: