Wednesday, July 04, 2007

But... the cart!

I have to begin: I am not complaining. Really, I'm not. I might be procrastinating, but there is no whining anywhere on this beautifully sunny, and 80 degree holiday. With my parents' imminent arrival of very soon and this evening's nacho party, the apartment is in dire need of de-cat-hair-ification. Short of tossing the cats, I've ingested my Claritin, applied eye drops, got a cat in my lap to pet, and decided to update the blog. Yes, that is clearly a logical project flow.

So today is the day I've set aside to clean. Then nap. Then put together some nachos and have good times. Luckily, my friends live up the street so they will not have to face the entire aftermath of driving on fourth of July by my apartment, only a little bit. It is a very bad thing to drive around here post-'works. Mostly on fireworks holidays, such as New Year's and Independence Day, Jer and I sit by the balcony with our drinks and cringe at the insanity. Pedestrians and cars in a fight to the death... you know, literally.

This summer, more than any other, I've been the victim of multiple sneezing. Six times in a row, easy. I mention this now because I just started another uncontrollable sneezing jag, scared the cat and now I no longer have a cat in my lap, which means I have to get up.

An update to the last entry. The lists have migrated to my hand. In faded black ink it currently says: tupperware, tissues, eye drops, and headphones.

Oh, ha. Last night, Jer and I went to Wal-Mart for the first time here, and the first time in a couple of years. In the checkout line, an older single guy in front of us took the items out of his cart, put them on the conveyor belt, and then proceeded to pretend that he'd never seen that cart before in his life. He walked forward and left the cart. So I nudged it forward. He ignored it. He paid for his purchases, turned to walk away, clearly having abandoned the cart in the middle of the checkout lane, when I said, "Excuse me, sir? Sir?" He finally turned around, like what? I smiled and said, "Sir, you forgot your cart." He blinked, opened his mouth as if to protest, then lurched forward and took the cart.

Hilarious!

For the rest of the night, I annoyed Jer by saying, "You forgot your cart!" and then laughing. The look on that guy's face was priceless.

No comments: