Sunday, July 22, 2007

I'm on a self-imposed money diet due to some unplanned clothes spending, so today's grocery store trip was interesting. It's been a long time since I paid for groceries in cash. I originally intended to buy a couple of corned beef briskets for the slow cooker, but the one I saw was $17 and that'd blow my budget. Then I noticed a package of boneless beef short ribs in a Caribbean citrus marinade on the shelf next to it, about 3.5 pounds for $5, and went for it. They just reached their sell by date, and since I planned to cook them immediately, it worked out great.

They're in the crockpot now. Only five more hours to go.

As for the clothes I purchased, I stocked up on work and workout clothes last week and then a few days ago went to Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale and bought two coats -- a rain coat and a wool pea coat. Once I replace my shoes, I'll finally look like a normal person again, instead of someone with big holes in her coat and baggy black slacks. The only down side is that the homeless people will probably start asking me for money again.

I go for long periods of time where I forget about clothing, with the exception of putting some on in the morning and doing laundry. Then one inevitable day I look down and realize my carefully constructed ensemble is hanging on by a literal thread. At that point I must have new clothes immediately; groceries be damned!

I did well though. I've got enough food to last the ten days until I get paid again, without dipping into savings. I just need to stay away from bookstores and bars and possibly Cold Stone Creamery, and it should be all good.

No comments: