Wednesday, July 25, 2007

practicing what i preach

I'm working on a new experiment this week. It's called, "Living within my means." I'm seeing how long I can resist the urge to spend money. I've come to the conclusion that it's about as hard as dieting.

For example, this morning my purple Doc Martens were hurting my ankles and I had no Band-Aids, so I decided I needed to buy some -- work rarely has them and that's where I was headed. But wait! I can't use my debit card and I don't have enough cash. However! I am carrying my sneakers in my gym bag, which is on my back right now, what if I switched them out? The only downside is it won't look very professional, but it will be super comfortable. Okay. I'll do it. I will make this aesthetic sacrifice.

I did spend $0.75 on a soda yesterday, but I had the change in my desk, so it fit the rules. Also, Jer bought dinner, but I ordered something with lots of vegetables so I could take the leftovers for lunch today. Healthy and frugal! (So I like the exclamation point. Sue me.)

Four more work days until I get paid. I have lunches planned, and frozen dinners, plus some wheat pasta I can whip up if I get bored with Tasty Bite and brown rice. I realize I've been getting complacent in what is acceptable to spend money on and this is a good reality check. I have my budget and I overspent, so now I must deal with the consequences.

In some ways, back when I worked in the box office it was far easier to live within my means, because I was living from paycheck to paycheck. Now that we are a little more comfortable -- photography school loan is paid off, for example -- it can be tougher to mentally set aside the money I need to reach my goals. And just like incorporating diet and exercise as a daily habit, it's a new struggle everyday and a different way of thinking.

No comments: