Friday, October 19, 2007

A dark and stormy night

Wednesday night I went to hear Crazy Aunt Purl read from her book, "Drunk, Divorced, and Covered in Cat Hair". I arrived about a half hour ahead of time and there was already a shortage of seats. I begged a chair from a woman at the cafe who was using it to hold her backpack and sat down.

I immediately noticed two things about the crowd: it was almost entirely women, and all the women were knitting or wearing something they'd knitted. Since I have not yet succumbed to the knitter's call, I could only eavesdrop on conversations about scarves getting away from people and hats that were dead on the needle.

I had a good time though. Laurie Perry, aka Crazy Aunt Purl, was a charismatic speaker who happens to speak the way she writes, which is funny and honest, sometimes painfully. I bought her book in the store and waited for a little while in line, admittedly not long, when I decided to leave. It would've been nice to say hi, I'm one of your lurkers, but I was on a mission. This was the only night I had a car AND the GPS AND I needed to buy padded bike shorts at REI. REI was only open for another hour.

Yep. Bike shorts.

I signed up for a spinning class that starts tomorrow and goes 8 weeks. As I weighed my options in the signing line, butt comfort edged out book signing. And it edged it out good.

I am only human.

No comments: