Monday, October 22, 2007

Orange juice from a can

I never like to admit my body is fighting something. It feels like I failed, like I didn't wash my hands enough or consume enough vitamin C. And then there's the problem of missing something. It drives me batty that I might miss something IMPORTANT because I stayed home. Like, this will be the day my coworkers win the lottery but I was too busy being a wuss so I couldn't chip in and now I'm forever doomed. Doooomed!

It's silly.

And overall I don't feel that bad. Except for the pain in my armpit -- lymph nodes and I have an uneasy history -- and the vague distraction of an on-the-cusp sore throat. I could probably go in and be fabulous, but ugh, the effort. My only medical opinion is that one should listen to their body, and my body is telling me that it needs a day. So I'm giving it one day to fall apart. Then... we'll see.

I made orange juice from concentrate last night. It reminds me of weekend breakfast growing up. My parents would make potatoes and eggs and toast, and my sister or I made the OJ. If it was my turn I'd set the big glass pitcher on the formica table, the one with the curved lip and bell shape, rip the paper ring from around the can of concentrate, and use a wooden spoon to make it plop into the pitcher. Then I'd fill the can three times with water and pour it over top, spending the next few minutes mashing the pulpy mess into the water, swirling it around, smooshing it into the sides of the glass until, voila: orange juice.

But last night I didn't pair it with toast and eggs and potatoes. I mixed it with vodka and ice. There's nothing quite like an inflamed lymph node to make you feel sorry for yourself, I tell ya what.

So today I'll take it easy. I have to make a quick trip to the post office, which I'm happy to do because it means I've sold a couple of half.com items (Coldplay's X&Y CD and Xenosaga for PS2) and an 8x10 photo of Fall Leaves (Thanks, Daniel!). Then I will hole up on the couch with fluids and read a book or watch TV or just stare at the bay. It's a brisk sunny one today, and Jer has the day off, so I will make him do my bidding -- once he finally wakes up.

Happy Fall.

1 comment:

KikiRiki said...

You're not missing anything here trust me. No lottery winners, nothing. Stay home and get better!