Monday, October 15, 2007

Pumpkins and Corn

On Sunday I made breakfast -- potatoes, eggs, and coffee, our old standby -- and then we drove to Snohomish to see Bob's Corn and Pumpkin Farm. It was amazing weather; I didn't even need a jacket. At first we wandered around their small store and then I bought a jar of pumpkin butter and two handstamps for the corn maze. Hayrides left periodically for the corn maze, but we opted to walk since it was only down the road a bit.

Outside the maze was a white tent and a lot of pumpkins on the vine. We weaved in and out of the pumpkin field as I took pictures with the fixed 50mm and the fisheye. (One or two turned out really well.) Eventually we made our way to the maze, which was about 10 acres and 2.5 miles to walk through. Before we went in we grabbed an aerial map of the maze, faintly printed on an 8x10 sheet of paper, some sections blurred. The woman said, "Not like it'll be much help, but here you go..."

After hitting several dead ends and me loudly proclaiming that we were going to die in there, Jer pulled out the map. Turns out years of video game playing has made him an EXPERT in reading aerial map views, no matter how convoluted. We'd pause at a fork, he'd glance down, shrug, then say, "This way." And he was always right! We even picked up another maze-goer who ended up deferring entirely to Jer as well.

If I'm ever on an Amazing (heh, A-maize-ing, as in corn) Race-type show, I want Jer to be my partner. He is unstoppable. If not for him there's a good chance I would still be trapped in there.

On our walk back to the car we saw some people setting up a hot air balloon and I took more photos. I took so many in fact, that I ran out of room on my memory card. Note to self: next time bring backup. Then we shared an ear of roasted corn and a bottle of water. It was so very wholesome.

Overall, I highly recommend the pumpkin/maze experience, especially on a pretty fall day like yesterday. I had a surprisingly awesome time.

In non-agricultural news, my eBay auction ended on a good note last night and I mailed the costume out this morning. I also sold a DVD set on half.com, which gives us that much more space and money to contemplate our next splurge items.

Maybe we will buy a pony.

No comments: