Thursday, March 17, 2011

Revisiting Tokyo and a Happy Saint Pat's

Like most everyone, Japan has been on my mind.

I visited Tokyo in 2008 and when I came home I posted a brief description of my trip (with accompanying photos) at my photoblog, called "Impressions of Tokyo."

Rereading the piece 2 1/2 years later, I see the writing is more sentimental than I usually allow myself, but overall it still speaks the same truth I intended at the time. I loved it there. I found it fascinating and overwhelming and efficiently beautiful. It was unlike anything I could have imagined.

Someday I'll go back.

It would have been my Grandmother's birthday today. I reread one of her old astrology books last week -- the only one I saved. Then I dreamed of her two nights ago.

But that's how it is. Coastlines shift. People die. We adapt.

No comments: