Monday, January 23, 2012

First draft of new story completed

I just finished the first draft of a new story -- my first finished draft since my monster 7,900-word horror story last month. (Not counting flash fiction or rewrites.)

I finished the draft then immediately opened Notepad and listed out all the major problems. I came up with seven structural issues I need to address before I let anyone else read it. Mostly I need to do some more foreshadowing and establish the main conflict sooner. You know, the little things I didn't know the answer to until I was finished writing. Hopefully I can find some simple solutions.

The story is about 2,900 words but will probably grow another 500 to 1,000 words since I tend to underwrite in the first draft. I guess I also need a name for it -- make that issue number eight. :)

You could say this one is dark fantasy. I wrote the first 500 words a year ago and then stalled out, so I've been thinking about this one for a while. Feels good to be making progress again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Progress is the best, and success can sometimes be just moving in the right direction.

Folly Blaine said...

Very true. It's been helpful having Write 1 Sub 1 as a motivation, too. What you've accomplished/produced alone has been inspiring.