Thursday, January 19, 2012

Raiding the pantry


My car, our street, and snow

I don't cook as much as I should, so being "snowed in" has brought its own set of culinary challenges. Luckily my pantry and the freezer are better stocked than normal and -- while they haven't been gourmet meals -- I've kept Jer and myself alive.

Last night I made grilled cheese sandwiches and heated up a can of chicken soup. For lunch today I am thinking Tasty Bite (Madras Lentils) over brown rice. I improvised nachos with a bag of cilantro-lime tortilla chips, shredded cheese, a can of refried beans, and olives, and we've been eating a lot of fried egg sandwiches. (This is not punishment. We both really like them.)

No foodie awards for sure, but I think you underestimate the "keeping us alive" part.

So why are we snowed in when there's maybe 4 or 5 inches on the ground? Well, the city of Seattle doesn't plow side streets to start, and my car is not good at staying on the road when it's slick. Also, because of that one time I wanted to buy a snow shovel and Jer talked me out of it, our driveway is becoming treacherous. Freezing rain and what not. (The 'what not' being that I am a wuss.)

I amused myself yesterday by knocking snow off the tree branches around our house, scraping the snow off my car (just in case), and liberating the yard waste bin from its ice prison. Jer is working from home so I'd come stomping back inside, my hair dripping with melting snow and grinning and he'd say, "What did you do now?"

Heh. I stopped short of making snow angels. That seemed like all kinds of unnecessary cold.

I learned yesterday you pronounce Pepys, as in Samuel Pepys, famous diarist, PEEPS. I had no idea. Thank goodness his name rarely comes up in conversation. I would've looked like such a fool.

Winky face.

This entry brought to you by Not Leaving the House in Five Days.

No comments: