Sunday, February 20, 2005

My Friends Got Me Too

Dear Diary:

I'm a sucker. My friends conspired behind my back for weeks, and I never suspected. They told me they couldn't go to my play, and I believed them. Now I can never trust them again.

Karen showed up first. First she called, to throw me off track, and then suddenly she was outside, NOT five hours away! And only a few hours later, Gina showed up too! Gina, who practically lives in another time zone, flew out here to see my ten-minute effort. BF knew along. I said, "Please tell me that you're all not here to stage an intervention?"

The show sold out last night. There were people milling about hoping to get in. What a weird feeling. I knew exactly what the box office guy was going through, I didn't envy him having to turn all those unhappy people away, but at the same time it made me happy that we could afford to be exclusive. We're sold out. The rest of you can go home now. Thanks for playing the home game.

I bought the actors yellow roses and planted them in the dressing room. Apparently it's incredibly easy to sneak backstage. After the show, as I said goodbye to the actors and thanked them again, the Director asked about Thursday's show. The actors said they'd mixed up a bunch of lines, but recovered. So if you saw Thursday night's show -- and that's the only night I didn't see -- chances are there was some creative actor interpretation going on. But hey, it all worked out in the end.

No comments: