Thursday, July 21, 2005

Bait and Switch

I redid my resume. The spittle flew, the fists raged at the heavens, and the tantrums were abundant, but I finished it. At least I've finished it until next week, when it gets all tored up by a two-day workshop where I get one-on-one time with my own personal resume reviewer. It's part of my severance package, so I dare not disappoint.

And then I submitted it for a job. I need to do more of that.

Everyone at work is in the throes of interviews and open houses and big life changes. I can only listen and nod and try not to be anxious. I've got nothing, no prospects. I sent out a query email to someone who works in the area where I want to move and asked if he had any leads. He forwarded my email on, so who knows. The outplacement people keep drilling into our heads: it's all about networking. Internet applications are low-yield. Don't rely on them. Bad news for me because that's all I've done so far.

I'm not taking it seriously enough yet. I tend to get depressed and stressed about this sort of thing, which begets eXtreme laziness and ennui. I need to push past that barrier and keep going. It's just that sometimes the barrier seems damned insurmountable and it's ever so much easier to fall asleep at 8pm and sleep 'til morning.

But today I can count as productive. I rewrote my resume from scratch, updated my cover letter to match the job description, and accomplished little else. In 45 minutes I get to watch an all-new episode of "Kept," and then fall asleep, fan on high and sweaty in the sheets. Probably a cat will sleep on my legs. This is my life.

No comments: