Saturday, July 30, 2005

Shmooze and Booze

I neglected actual work items all week, on account of the job placement workshop, so now I need to go in and get busy. I'm being a baby though, because it's Saturday and I most fervently Don't Wanna.

Last night we went to a party at a beautiful home on a hill overlooking the city. We sipped margaritas from a Margarita Machine (like a slurpee machine but with Tequila), nibbled on fly-trodden sushi and quesadilla wedges, and watched the sun set beyond the Botanic Gardens. I hobbled along in pointy-toed high-heeled shoes, attempted small talk, and avoided sinking in the strips of grass between the flagstones.

It was our work sponsored going away/layoff party, but spirits weren't low. I'm the newest hire there; everyone has a good four years experience on me. And we chatted about our opportunities and our contacts and I listened to them reminisce about the better times, when the company was run like a start-up, and everyone was happy to work ten-hour days and it felt like home.

The first thing I noticed about this company when I started was how passionate everyone was about their jobs. I'd come from the university where people tend to get stuck in jobs they hate and initiative is not rewarded. After only one year here, I've received two small bonuses and a free iPod. I was able to have LASIK done, went on two business trips to Massachusetts, and they paid my membership to a professional society. And the best part, besides the free bottled water, soda, coffee, and sometimes beer, was that my mentor took the time to train me from scratch and was exceedingly patient about it. I'm glad I got the chance to work here, if only for one year, and I will miss it.

There's not much of a punchline, except to add, that the paycheck wasn't bad either.

No comments: