Tuesday, August 30, 2005

It's only a little prick.

I went in to get blood drawn this morning. I'm not particularly afraid of needles or rubber tubing so it's not a cause for concern, however, today was different. Today before I rolled up my sleeves and proffered an arm, I saw something unusual.

I noticed a frail, old woman standing at the counter and showing something to the receptionist. Suddenly, the receptionist's eyes went wide. "Oh my gosh. Here," she said, "let me help you with your coat. We don't want ..." She let the sentence hang and quickly came around the counter. She removed the woman's pink coat from her shoulders and led her to the back area. As they passed, I noticed that the woman's arm was covered in blood. Blood seeped from under the cotton ball and tape, and flowed to her wrist. The old woman looked unconcerned, if shaky. The only other bit I overheard was that one of the male nurses had performed the procedure.

And then they called my name. And I saw it was a male nurse.

I was, I think, understandably paranoid.

I determined to erase the mental image from my mind, and it ended okay. They got their vials, and I got the frell out of there.

As for the bank accounts I opened yesterday, I checked my messages and apparently there was one piece of paperwork I hadn't signed and could I please come back and take care of it? I went in after the blood drawing and signed my name by a couple of X's. I think that's settled now.

I printed out maps and figured out what I need to do get a driver's license, car registration, and emissions check. And I ate half a big ass breakfast burrito.

Most of my entries these days are thinly veiled lists, and I apologize for the lack of variety. Maybe once I'm unemployed full-time I'll have the energy to think about the Important Issues Facing Us Today.

In a rare display of social consciousness I've been following the Katrina devastation pretty closely. I don't have anything supportive or constructive to say about it, except wow. And I hope everyone gets through as best they can, which I realize is absolutely no help and that if I really wanted to help I'd donate money to the Red Cross. But for now, the affected areas will have to settle for good thoughts. At least until my check to the moving company clears.

No comments: