Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Wanderlust

We left the rental car by Seacrest Park, and took the Elliot Bay Water Taxi into town. There was coffee, and a 12-minute boat ride. We walked to Pioneer Square and explored the shelves at the Elliot Bay Book Company. Then more coffee, followed by a brisk walk to the awesomely architected Seattle Library, followed by another brisk walk to Pike Place Market. More coffee. A book was purchased.

Let me pause and share that the womens' restroom at Pike Place Market has the weirdest stalls I've ever seen. The doors only go up about four feet, so as you walk by, you can see the faces of the women using the stalls. You can see that they are sitting, and perhaps concentrating, and perhaps when you realize what you're seeing, everyone plays the "Isn't-it-funny-how-everyone-else-is-suddenly-invisible?" game and the floor is the most interesting thing you've ever seen. I imagine that my modesty will continue to have nightmares about these stalls, long after the memory is reduced to a snapped synapse.

I notice now that I've got to be awake in six hours to drive to the airport. Stupid 3am.

No comments: