Sunday, September 02, 2007

another Saturday night

The good news is: my back is better. The bad news is: I've got blisters.

Yesterday wasn't bad as far as productivity is concerned. I fed my friend's cats, called my mom, went for an hour and a half walk, and submitted another 15 photos for consideration -- bringing the total count to 80. (That's a lot for a Saturday.)

The walk felt good, and I remembered to wear my walking shoes and a pair of running socks, but at the turn around point I noticed my feet weren't too happy. Eh. So instead of power walking straight back, I found a low concrete seawall and dangled my feet into the 4 foot gap for awhile, breathing in the smell of seaweed and salt, watching a couple of kids torment the gulls. Then I eased my way back home.

Except for the bubbles on the soles of my feet, I felt energized when I got back. I dug up another 15 photos I hadn't realized existed -- some of them required extensive editing to remove labels and dust -- and Jer found a place where I may be able to rent a slide scanner. Even better, I already have a gift certificate with them. Now I need to find some uninterrupted time to organize the hundreds of slides I have (possibly thousands now that I think about it, ugh) and figure out the best way to scan them all in and retain my sanity.

First step, which is not my favorite, is pruning each set and filing them in a plastic sheet that goes in the archival box. The only fun part about that is using the loupe -- at least until my eyes fall out of my head from all the squinting.

Listen to me: bitch, bitch, bitch. I'm not actually complaining, I'm just trying to get mentally prepared for this daunting and overwhelming task I've been putting off for five years. But hey, there's no substitute for just jumping in feet first, right?

Suck it up and file.

No comments: