Monday, September 03, 2007

How I Spent My Labor Day Weekend

I pruned and filed 34 sets of slides yesterday. About half of each set found its way to the trash, but I still managed to pull a decent amount. I used the pub table in the living room as my workstation, set up my light table, loupes, anti-static cloth, gloves, and a stack of empty plastic filing sheets (top loading with data panel!), and Jer put on the Paprika soundtrack. Something like 3-4 hours later I looked up again.

I just ordered 2 more archival binders because the 3 I have now are bulging.

In a way, it's like taking a trip down memory lane -- a trip I wasn't particularly keen on taking. And it's true, some of my photos aren't all that great, I half-assed some of my assignments but not because I didn't care. Mostly I was panicked and sleep deprived and very far out of my element. There are also some genuinely fine photos tucked in the lot, and that's what I'm doing this for, which makes this whole experience feel more like a rescue operation than reminiscing. I'm salvaging my past.

During dinner, I set up an impromptu studio behind the recliner and took some shots of my partially filled wine glass. Here's one of the shots:

No comments: