Thursday, September 13, 2007

A night at the movies, or three

As I've been scanning slides these many evenings (found a new setting, whee!), I've watched several of my favorite DVDs as a soundtrack. Tuesday night I watched, "My Dinner with Andre." Wednesday night I watched, "Lost in Translation," and tonight I watched the Disney version of "Hunchback of Notre Dame," which I will now refer to as HoND.

Have you seen HoND? I submit to you that it is a fine, fine film. One of the greats. It is the opposite of light-hearted. It is dark and kind of terrifying and mostly about how ugly people have tomatoes thrown at them, and gypsies are murdered by cruel tyrants... Ah, but the music is brilliant. (And the book it's based on ain't too shabby either.) Yes, I also own the soundtrack. One song called Hellfire has a chorus of Mea culpa, Mea culpa as the creepy Frollo sings about his lust for the gypsy Esmerelda -- after he smells her hair and then steals her scarf so he can smell that too -- with lines like:

  • It's not my fault, if in God's plan, He made the devil so much stronger than a man!
  • Like fire
    Hellfire
    This fire in my skin
    This burning
    Desire
    Is turning me to sin
  • She will be mine or she will burn

Oh, Stephen Schwartz. First you gave me Pippin. Now you give me HoND. How can I ever thank you?

Also? In that song, the animators draw a seductive woman out of flames and she beckons the sweaty Frollo to have unholy thoughts. Old man moaning is involved. Go, Disney! Or the song about hanging? Superb. And thank you, thank you, thank you to Tom Hulce for his wonderful voice. Just gives me shivers.

Last but not least. Today Jer and I applied and received our marriage license. We're thinking we'll make it official on Oct 10, because 10-10 is easy to remember, especially because it is where the hands fall on every clock in every commercial to show that the clock's face is happy. Did you notice? I bet you did.

I really thought it'd be more difficult to get the license. You just hand over $60, show a driver's license, and fill out a form or two. At least in this state. I walked away thinking, "Geez, they'll give these things to anybody... well, as long as one of you has an obvious penis and the other an obvious vagina." I wonder if you look androgynous how they handle that. Do they make you prove it?

No comments: