Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Slice and Dice

Today was a long day. Things happened. I made soup. It looked like this:


- prep work, the little plastic yellow round container is full of saffron my sister brought back from Morocco


- after bringing the carrots, celery, onions, and stock to a boil the first time

It's actually quite tasty, and it's FULL of vegetables. It is like the Noah's Ark of vegetables. Or maybe it only seemed that way because of all the chopping. The true test will be tomorrow after the flavors have a chance to meld.

Also I cooked lentils for the first time ever for this soup. Two things about lentils, which are probably DUH to every one else in the world. First, they need to soak. Second, they need to simmer for a really long time. Together this may put a damper (at first I wrote hamper) on your plans if you (like me) forget to read the instructions on the bag. Hi, soup I started two days ago. Welcome to my belly.

A note to future self: that 3.5 quart dutch oven you used there? It just barely fits all the ingredients. If you like this soup it would be a really good time to upgrade.

No comments: