Wednesday, September 21, 2005

And the Red Tape Falls Away

I have a Washington driver's license! And a license plate!

There are separate offices for licensing and registration. The licensing office was painted all white inside, with white chairs. The chairs were in neat rows and faced the counter like an audience. Inside the door was a big sign, "Start Here." Under the sign was a machine that dispensed numbers. We selected our reason for visiting, then pressed a button and took numbers. Finally, Jer and I sat in the white chairs and waited a half hour for our number to be called. They don't take appointments.

After studying the driver's guide for several weeks we discovered that it wasn't necessary. We didn't have to take a written test, just pay the fee and get a photo taken. I was a little disappointed after worrying about it so much. I guess they just changed the rules last July.

Next, at the registration office, we paid a lot of money and walked away with our license plates. I had no idea it cost that much to pay the monorail tax. Over $200 in Jer's case. Seems excessive.

I'm waiting for FedEx to deliver my Packet8 phone adapter. Although I don't know how they can actually deliver it, since the doors to the building require a key and the buzzer is labelled incorrectly. The management people haven't added our name to the roster, so we don't exist yet. I am a hallucination. Nothing to see here. I hope they at least leave a note and I can pick it up in person. That'd be okay too.

Tomorrow we drop off the cats at the boarding place. W00T.

No comments: