Saturday, September 10, 2005

Redding

We made it to Redding. The La Quinta Inn has free wireless access, so here I am. It took us nine hours to get here and now we're watching something vaguely anime related on Cartoon Network. We tried to leave and buy dinner, but Vash mewed too loudly so Jer had to stay. Luckily, Subway is across the street and -- although a delicate flower -- it seems I'm able to carry two large sodas and subs all by myself.

I listened to almost all of Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods." It made the drive seem faster and made me miss hiking. Tomorrow I'm in unknown territory. I've never driven farther north than Redding, and I expect some fantastic scenery based on our previous train trip. Unfortunately my left blinker quit working, so now I look like the asshole who changes lanes without warning. I hope it's not indicative of a bigger problem. Cross your wood or knock your fingers or whatever.

So yeah. We're enjoying not sleeping on the floor and watching television and checking email, like real civilized employed members of society. The cats did not like the drive at all, and the sedative wasn't effective. Tomorrow we double the dose.

We've been up since five. It took three hours to get ready and pack the car. I can't believe it all fit. -- Okay, the cartoon just used the words "sexy jitsu." I'm guessing on the spelling. And then the boy character who said it turned into an ugly, chunky woman. Uhh... -- I'm pretty excited, but I can't wait to sit in my new living room with my old stuff, put my feet up and have a beer. A beer sounds nice.

In other news, Vash is attacking the mirror after falling off the television. This could be a long night.

No comments: