Friday, September 09, 2005

Nightmare on my Street

I'm sitting on the floor of the office with a keyboard in my lap. The rooms all have a strange echo-y quality now that the furniture is gone and most of the cat hair is in a vacuum bag.

I ran little errands yesterday -- donated five pairs of eyeglasses, recycled batteries and plastic bags, closed a Santa Saver account, called the new landlady to check in, returned the cable box, traded in a stack of CDs and DVDs, and dropped off the giveaways to Jer's work, where his co-workers swarmed the pile and picked it clean to its bones.

I'm doing a walk-through with the landlord before the day is out, so it's my last chance to make the place presentable. It's mostly done. There's only the shower and refrigerator left. Both things I hate to clean. You'd think the toilet would fall into the same category, but no. It's the mean acts of contortionism my body must perform when cleaning the shower and refrigerator that make me loathe them so. I can say with the confidence of experience that I will clean the messiest, grimiest grit as long as I don't have to go all yoga in the process. For proof, I refer you to my years as a janitor.

Tomorrow is the big day. I plan to be on the road by 7am. We'll end the night at a hotel in Redding, CA, after a day of Bill Bryson audio books. We don't have internet for the new place yet, so I'm not sure how long I'll be off-line. Until then I'll make updates locally and upload whenever I've got a chance. Stay tuned for more fabulous photos of the Seattle skyline!

Vash is clawing at the outlets. I guess that's Cat for "Feed me or die."

No comments: