Saturday, May 21, 2011

Cantaloupe Crisis Averted

Cantaloupes are boring fruit to me. Bland and watery, I've always hated having to gnaw at the rind. So when I bought a whole cantaloupe (on sale) yesterday, I had no clue what to do with it.

So I did what I always do when I'm too lazy to call my Mom: I turned to the Internet.

Internet wants me to be smrt.

I followed the directions at Simply Cara, and it turned out perfectly. (Simply Cara satisfies all your cantaloupe cutting needs.)

Turns out a fresh cantaloupe tastes better than whatever I've been eating. It also tastes better if you slice off the rind and cut the flesh into small pieces, thereby eliminating all need to gnaw.

I tossed the cantaloupe in a bowl with blueberries and strawberries, drizzled it all with a tablespoon of agave nectar, and now I might just be a cantaloupe convert.

Fun fact: If you stand in front of the bathroom mirror at midnight and repeat "cantaloupe" three times, then the cantaloupe fairy will grant you longer, thicker lashes.

4 comments:

Michael said...

Be careful of the ring. Various melons can secret something that can make you sick.

Folly Blaine said...

Michael, I didn't know that. Luckily, I hate even the smallest taste of rind so I cut it off good and deep. :)

AZGypsie said...

Christy, I make a salad of cucumber and cantaloupe. Cut up one cantaloupe and a couple of cucumbers, should be about equal amounts, add 2 -3 tablespoons of mayonnaise, some salt and coarse ground pepper. Stir and serve. Its very good. This amount will serve alot of people. It doesn't sit for long periods of time very well, so don't prepare it until right before you are ready to serve.

Folly Blaine said...

AZGypsie, that sounds interesting. I wouldn't have thought to put those flavors together but I can see how it could be very good.

I was tempted to buy some prosciutto and wrap the melon in it. It was an appetizer at a restaurant I went to once, and they'd just run out. I've wanted to try it ever since.