Saturday, May 14, 2011

Learning about Banksy

I'm about ready to hit up the ol' coffee pot again. Something about today is making me sleepy.

This morning I watched "Exit Through the Gift Shop," a Banksy film.

This documentary-style film is about a charismatic guy who films obsessively and stumbles onto the street art scene, slowly getting introduced to all the players and gaining their trust. After the footage he compiles turns out to be useless, the guy transforms himself into a street artist and finds quick success by copying other successful artists, and playing the hype game. In his first show he sells a million dollars worth of product.

When I first heard about the film I didn't think much of it. Isn't street art just vandalism? And, while yes, it's a form of expression that operates in a legal gray area, it can also be very interesting. Especially when you have someone who knows how to use it for social commentary, like Banksy.

The film is not what I expected. And I mean that in the best possible way. It's worth a watch.

No comments: