Monday, May 02, 2011

Practice won't make you perfect, but it will make you better

This one is going to be about writing.

I've been reading a lot of writing books -- more than normal, anyway -- and they're all consistent in their message. You have to write to get better. Quit making excuses for why you can't write. Practice practice practice.

And yet I secretly hope the next book will tell me the magic shortcut. You know, the one where all of a sudden I don't struggle to find the right words anymore.

Tomorrow night I have to read a story in class. I have mixed feelings about this. First, the story isn't finished yet. And by the time I finish the first draft, I won't have much time to write a second draft.

I am really fighting for words today, that's two. I've sat here for hours trying to force them out.

It'll get done because it has to.

When I complete a story, it is very satisfying. I enjoy writing. It's just that some days are hard and I still have a lot to learn.

Please don't misunderstand though. I am not complaining. I just want to explain what it's like.

No comments: