Monday, April 05, 2004

Time Change Wackiness

I'm making a deal with myself. I wrote half the words I needed for tonight, so now I get to blog. Something bit my arm. I hope it was a mosquito and not a vampire. That's the last thing I'd need, joining the ranks of the undead and perpetually thirsty. Is there a twelve step program for vampires?

Do I like rhetorical questions or what?

All day I've been confused. Not following through on thoughts, misplacing pens and books and water bottles, just overall muddled and befuddled. The first customer of the day at the ticket window, I told there would be a $3 service charge for her phone order. She looked at me, her face star wiped into amusement. I collapsed into sheepish apology.

So I've warned you. I've done my duty. Read at your own risk.

The first workshop is over. I left work early to come home and take a nap. Then I went to Starbucks and then to Borders and then to McDonald's. And then I went to the workshop. In all that going places I came up with a title, which is good. The instructor has reserved a theatre downtown to do the staged reading in the event we get that far. It's very laid back and casual and I find it easy to write my nonsense. Five to ten pages are due on Easter morning and I plan to start tomorrow. Remember, it doesn't have to be good, it just has to get done. Good is where rewriting comes in.

We rented "Adaptation" and watched it yesterday. I'd been looking forward to it for weeks. And even though I normally dislike Nicholas Cage, award winning actor, in this film - to my delight and surprise - I found I'd been hasty and ill informed. It did a great job of showing a writer's life in a vacuum, and an idealist at that. Then it twisted all up on itself and got crazy. I speakah da crazy.

But I will say this - I'm ready for a nice, quiet romantic comedy. The last dozen films I've watched were all deep and dark and messy and now I'm ready for the silver screen to make my life make sense. Give me a purpose and an attainable goal. Let me visit Jane Austen and her bevy of sensible women. Rock on.

No comments: