Saturday, January 19, 2008

two-thirds rant, one-third why

A couple of people I encounter on a daily basis have started lamenting, frequently, that we're in a recession/depression. They actually interchange the words, and at least one is a reasonably well informed, educated person.

I just don't see it yet. Yes, the stock market isn't doing well, but that's a lot of psychology there. Home prices are finally correcting after reaching insane levels. But everyone I know who wants to work has a job. It's true, people who bought what they couldn't afford are suffering the consequences -- no judgment there, just fact. It's sad but not unexpected.

And using the word depression for what's happening now, seems like a tremendous insult. I've heard my grandmother's stories, and my life is way better than what she and her family experienced during that time.

Maybe I have been insulated from the economic fallout?

Beyond the bandying about of these terms, these people also use them as an excuse not to do anything to change their current situations. Why change jobs and be the first on the chopping block somewhere else? Why push the envelope and risk a stable situation now even if unhappy?

The way I see it, there will always be something. Some reason not to do what you are afraid to do. You just have to be smart and prepare for the worst. If the worst is losing your job and not having savings, then cut back and save, learn to cook, and be patient. And stop being melodramatic while you still have a job and your health.

At least this is what I wish I could say, but instead I nod and switch topics because it's easier to change the subject than to change their minds.

No comments: