Friday, July 01, 2011

BeneFictions for Earthquake Relief

Last night I went to a benefit reading for Japanese earthquake disaster relief. The event was put on by Horrific Miscue (Seattle), a writer's group made up of former graduates of Clarion programs, and took place at Inner Chapters Bookstore & Cafe off of Mercer.

Despite the somber cause, there was a lot of laughter. I was worried about not really knowing anyone, but that wasn't a problem. Everyone I met was friendly and welcoming. And it was a great opportunity to hear local science-fiction and fantasy authors read exceptional work. I'm glad I didn't miss it.

The bookstore donated 15% of food and drink sales and provided a great space. In addition, Horrific Miscue sold a chapbook to raise donations. I don't know the final numbers, but I saw a decent amount of cash being counted at the end of the night.

Donations will be sent to the American Red Cross, flagged for this issue. Here is a link to the Red Cross site if you would like to consider donating as well.

No comments: