Thursday, November 15, 2007

Frugalicious

I have some guilt about all the plastic in my life, so I decided to buy some canvas totes.

A secondary benefit is that it reduces the plastic available for Vash to chew on. What a weird cat. We actually had to install babyproof locks on the kitchen cabinets to keep him from indulging his bizarre midnight appetite.

I first read about this particular tote on Queercents, one of my favorite personal finance sites.

Of course now I have to remember I have them. I took a trip to Costco tonight and forgot them completely. It was raining, and instead of accepting one of their boxes -- I'm stubborn, did you know that? -- I juggled. Photos in my jacket, wine under my arm, CFL bulbs across my chest, chicken stacked on the bulbs. Also, rain.

I did okay. Next time I will do better with my fancy canvas tote.

The CFL bulbs weren't because of guilt, they were because I'm frugal. A pack of six for $13.99 with a $10 instant rebate. Get thee to Costco and buy yourself some energy savings. Or just leave your lights off. Either way.

3 comments:

Lily said...

I'd never heard of a cat eating plastic bags before Vash, but a vet friend says it's fairly common for cats to eat plastic. I guess that means my cat is the odd one.

Using CFL bulbs is almost like leaving the lights off anyway, they're so dim. Mood lighting without the mood.

Folly Blaine said...

People have told me about the CFL bulbs being dimmer before, but I figured for $4 it was worth a try. I was actually more worred about breaking one and spilling the bit of mercury inside...

Casey said...

I recently installed some CFLs and in a side by side test they are indeed dimmer. The equivalency is wrong. I need to try getting some that say that they're 80 or 100w equivalents to see if I can cheat the system a bit that way.

We were just at Costco too. I wish I'd read about the $14 with a $10 cfls before that.