Friday, November 23, 2007

Happy Sunny, Chilly Friday

I sure do enjoy being an adult. For breakfast I ate a slice of pumpkin pie and a Diet Dr. Pepper. Also I had to mail something outside and I didn't have time to shower first, so I put on a knit cap and ran downstairs in my pajamas. Unfortunately, I ran into two of our older residents putting up a Christmas tree in the lobby. They looked at me funny. But as an adult, I can choose to ignore their alienation or I can drink it away with Baileys and coffee.

I will probably drink the pain away.

Thanksgiving dinner went very well. All the dishes turned out and Jer loved the smoked turkey. My tragic secret is that turkey does not do much for me. I mostly consider it a vehicle for transporting gravy into my face. I would recommend the smoked turkey however because it is not only tasty but pre-cooked. One less thing to worry about.

I ended up making two pumpkin pies, Green Bean Casserole, Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Greek Stuffing. We also had gravy and dinner rolls, as predicted. You should know I am not perfect though. I burned the pine nuts for the stuffing. I got distracted by foaming potatoes and let the nuts toast longer than the prescribed 5 minutes, 425 degrees. ("Five minutes, Turkish.") And in case you were wondering, burned, dark brown pine nuts should not be eaten. They taste like char.

Jer graciously volunteered to brave the store and buy me some more pine nuts. He said it was crazy busy, but he returned triumphant and I was able to finish the stuffing.

I am watching "Bizarre Foods" and they are talking about jellied moose nose. Naturally, my thoughts turn toward preservation. In the next year, I think I will learn more about preserving food. I believe I have a decent pickle recipe from the Internet. That will be my baby step. If you have any suggestions on books or recipes or websites, please post a comment.

1 comment:

CRo said...

I immediately thought of Orangette's pickled carrots that she made for her wedding. They look delicious and easy!