Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Trip for Trans Fats

On day three of vacation, which would be Monday, I ran some errands in the morning -- post office, Staples, Target, and Safeway. And then hung out (hanged?) in the apartment for the rest of the day.

Wait, that's not true. We drove to Tacoma. How did I forget Tacoma?

Sunday night, Jer and I watched "Supersize Me" on CBC. Only instead of having the intended effect -- fast food, ew -- we both found ourselves craving some grease and trans fats.

We used to live exclusively on fast food, and although it was cheap! and easy! and greasy! it was also very very bad. We rarely eat fast food these days, but we were missing Carl's Jr. Western Bacon Cheeseburger and it was a vacation day, and heck, the closest one is in Tacoma. Why not go? (For my central coast readers, as far as driving distance goes, Tacoma is to Seattle what Ventura is to Santa Barbara.) (For everybody else, it's about a half hour away.)

So I ran my errands -- I used my new canvas totes at 3 of the 4 stores, and it only confused the checkers a little -- I programmed the Tacoma address into the GPS, and we hit the road.

As I ate my burger, I found it tasty and worth the drive. My side dish of onion rings however, was a greasy shock to the system. I could only eat a few of them. For the rest of the evening it felt like my throat and tongue were coated with oil. It was awful. It was sad. I asked for so little... and I guess I got it.

So this morning I went to the gym and worked with my trainer for an hour. I am just beginning to experience the soreness and I could definitely go back to sleep, but I feel a little better about our culinary adventure yesterday. Or misstep, as it were.

1 comment:

Lily said...

Great, wish I had Carl's Jr. My closest one is in Spokane -- distance between Santa Barbara and LA, or about an hour and a half. :)