Friday, November 02, 2007

too funny, and by funny i mean sad

So I've been reading this "blogger" for about, I don't know, 2 years. And it turns out she's a fake, a liar, a totally made up personality done as an exercise for a book. I find this out, and I post the following comment:

On November 3rd, 2007 01:41 am (UTC), an anonymous reader commented:
It's too bad
I suppose what I find disappointing isn't that this was a lie -- because there was some beautiful writing and drawings, and that is commendable -- it's that when I think back to how I found your site it becomes extremely distasteful. "[Name_removed]" sent me an email on June 11, 2005, saying she liked my site and included her site in the signature. And so I went to the site, and I read it, sure. I commented once on the guestbook. I enjoyed it for the merit of the writing. But now that I know it was a marketing ploy? I can't actually forgive that, which is too bad. I probably would've liked your book.

 

For the record, I don't really care if you or "[Name_removed]" liked my site or not, it's that you made the lie personal; you advertised under false pretenses. But hey, you're a fantastic writer and I wish you well in all your future endeavors. The experiment just didn't work for me that's all, but it sounds like it worked for the rest of them. - Christy

If it's not clear, [Name_removed] is the name the author used as the blogger -- she pretended she was an artistic, bright, high school girl. Not 5 minutes after I post the comment, it gets deleted. I am not surprised, not at all. It certainly explains why ALL of the comments are positive so far. Truth is, I read the blog and I rooted for her and it made me happy to cheer somebody else on. Somebody who had talent and was stuck on the edge of something great. And yes, a part of me is sad that a person I respected doesn't exist anymore, but that's not why I'm angry. I'm angry and disgusted because that email was a sales pitch and I fell for it. And the next time I will trust that much less...

I won't give it anymore publicity by providing a link. But damn. I guess I just like to believe that our word is very important, that it's pretty much the only thing we have.

Times like this, the internet frightens me.

No comments: