Sunday, June 05, 2011

Stressing the Unstressed, or, A Common Meter

I submitted another flash fiction (under 1,000 words) piece this morning, which means I have 4 active submissions in the wild. I know it's not much, but it's a good start.

The writing classes were incredibly helpful for pinpointing a couple of problems with my storytelling. The number one issue was establishing (and sticking with) a point of view. I was completely ignoring point of view, which showed.

I am also much more conscious now of pacing. Rhythm within dialogue has always fascinated me, but I ignored the bigger picture. I should also be thinking about the ebb and flow of the story as a whole. Which parts drag? Which parts zoom past?

Here's a fun fact: Sometimes I write dialogue in iambic pentameter.

Perhaps I've said too much.

Happy Sunday.

No comments: