Friday, June 17, 2011

X Marks the Spot

The difference between the amateur and the professional writer is that the professional didn't quit.
- Richard Bach

A writer I respect told me she gets about ten rejections for every acceptance, and that was considered pretty good. Ever since then, I've felt better about receiving the dreaded "No thanks" email/letter.

Which is to say, I received another one last night. I believe in the story as written -- I scanned it to make sure I hadn't changed my mind -- so I found another market and submitted.

I'm learning there are many factors to being accepted. Some I hadn't even considered. Like, does the story fit in with other stories already accepted? Even if it "clicks" with everyone else you've ever met, if it doesn't with the editor, that's it. Of course there are the more obvious reasons: the story is unsatisfying in one or more ways, ranging from format to characters to plot to pacing; the story isn't a good fit for the market, ranging from diction to genre; or maybe the story is too similar to what's already been accepted.

It also helps that I believe there's an audience out there for me, I just have to find them. Writing is like a great big treasure hunt. My prize is finding readers. A reader's prize is finding quality content they connect to emotionally. At least that's my theory. :)

If it's naive to make a game out of rejection, don't tell me. I don't want to know.

No comments: