Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Mid-week blues

Work is intense. I'm facing many and varied sudden and impatient deadlines.

I can't get a grip on what's going to happen. So I maintain and I push. I spent a restless night with my pillow, filled with malformed dreams and a vague anxiety. Words and numbers on a loop, floating on the surface like soap scum, and then it was morning. Time to do it again.

It sounds awful when I put it like that. But the truth is I'm having more fun than I've had in awhile. I am busy and I see the consequences of my actions immediately.

I'll miss it if it goes away.

I initiated a direct rollover to Vanguard today. That's right, I'm finally opening a Vanguard account instead of just paying Fidelity exorbitant fees to buy Vanguard funds. (w00t) My 403(b) is flirting with the line where they usually force you to take a distribution or other action, so I made the call. The representative asked, "How long has it been since you worked for that employer?" I thought for a moment and said, "Six years?"

Man, I've had a lot of jobs.

I just listed them out but it was too depressing. I'm choosing not to share.

I'm struggling to find words tonight. At the moment I'm much more comfortable staring straight ahead. But that's what day 12'll do for ya.

No comments: